Thursday, February 13, 2014

Inexpensive (and easy) AIRPORT food!!

It’s “Girl’s Retreat” time for my extended family!!  (I’m still the person who lives the farthest away from where the festivities take place, so I must fly to where I enjoy time with 7 of my 8 sisters-in-law AND my mother-in-law.)    Each year I make this homage back, it is a financial sacrifice to make it happen.  Yet, it is important…so we find a way to make it happen.

Traveling is expensive—especially flying.  I shop around for flights and make sure I’m aware of any “deals” so I can take advantage of them.  This year I flew with Southwest with one of their “Wanna Get Away” deals.  HOWEVER, one of my sisters-in-laws told me about another inexpensive airline that she has used that I had never heard of before called: Allegaint.   

VS. 
WHO has the better price???  It's worth checking!!
They offer cheap flights that compete with Southwest’s cheapest fares.  The only downside to flying with them is they only have a few select times/days to choose from and NO snack service.  BUT, if an inexpensive flight is your goal to get where need to go, don’t rule them out.  It could save you a lot of money!!

One of the more expensive parts of traveling by air is being trapped into buying food at an inflated price at the airport…because they know you are limited to go elsewhere!!  I did a post a few years back on this topic…where I gave a TIP on drinks and a main dish.

I am always on the lookout for ways to expand my meal options while at the airport—especially healthier options.  As I went down the soup isle, I came across a single serve cup of “just add water” mashed potatoes by Betty Crocker AND Idahoan for 98¢. 
Flavor choices: Four Cheese,Roasted Garlic, Creamy Butter, Loaded Baked, and Applewood Smoked Bacon!
Now, I could never justify the expense for such an item for daily use, considering a box of potato flakes is a considerably cheaper route…but the idea of having something pre-seasoned and pre-served held my attention.  Not to mention significantly cheaper than airport prices!!  I chose to give the “Idahoan Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes” a try.

I loaded them up in my carry-on luggage and headed off to the airport. 
I decided not use it on my flight to my destination and saved it for the return trip.  This one serving package made it through two different security checks without a problem.  When I decided to use it, I walked up to a little fast food place inside the airport, behind security, and asked for a cup of HOT water.  They wanted to know what it was for.  Replying it was to make Mashed Potatoes, they gave me a small cup.  Since no one was in line behind me, I mixed it up right in front of the cashier.  They remarked, “That smells good.”  When I was done, I walked away to find myself a nice place to enjoy some mashed potatoes (110 calories) and self-made lemonade.  
Guess what?  It was enjoyable to eat!!  Plus, I will be honest and say that is the most FULL I have ever felt at the airport.  I sustained me for a long time!!  I feel confident in highly recommending this idea to ANYONE who wants to save money flying (or otherwise).  There are many flavors to choose from…so if “roasted garlic” isn’t something that “lights your fire” give a different  flavor a try!!

Happy Penny Pinching….while traveling!!

No comments:

Post a Comment