Saturday, October 1, 2011

The TRUTH about Blueberries....Smaller FEELS like more!!

When I was little, my mom bought Wild Blueberry Muffin Mixes (in a box).  In this box, it contained a tuna sized can filled with LITTLE wild blueberries—that was sufficient for 16-24 muffins.

As a teen, I saw lots of these cute LITTLE blueberries in the wild in Minnesota’s wilderness.  One of my favorite things to do was pick & eat these delectable berries while I was canoeing in the Boundary Waters National Park.  I just knew they were somewhere out there commercially!

When I moved out on my own, I reflected on these muffin mixes--with little wild blueberries….Wondering WHERE I might find the blueberry tin to add to my own muffin batter (therefore making it for cheaper and healthier!)

Years ago, I discovered that our local Natural Health food store, (aka. Trader Joe’s), carried frozen WILD blueberries.  Using my fingers I felt the bag to determine the size of the berry.  It was PERFECT!  Since that day, over 7 years ago, I have been buying these frozen LITTLE organic blueberries for my muffin batter, pancakes, or for a topping.  A little bit goes a LONG way!  It is amazing how much less you need, but feel like you are getting more!   I quickly learned that my bags of frozen blueberries were lasting more than 4 times as long…Therefore saving me money!!
Case Study:  1/4 c. BIG Blueberries VS. 1/4 c. LITTLE Blueberries
This is the 1/4 c. of blueberries dumped out for a TRUE visual comparison....
One of my favorite dishes to put little blueberries on is called Puffy Pancakes.  My children always enjoy eating many of them...and my daughter always appreciates the "fancy" atmosphere it brings.
Puffy Pancakes are one of our favorite breakfasts....and with using the SMALLER blueberries we get to have more individual berries than the big ones!!
Puffy Pancakes
1/2 c. Milk
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
Pinch Nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 F
Spray pan with Pam and place on medium heat on stove.
Wisk together milk, flour, sugar eggs, and nutmeg in bowl.
Pour into skiller and cook 1 minute.
Place pan in oven and bake 12-15 minute until puffed and golden.
Serve with powdered sugar and fresh or frozen berries
   
Optional:  Spread  with cream cheese frosting, then berries topped with powdered sugar!!!

Lifestyle Tip: I save the BIG blueberries for things that would be mashed or blended...such as smoothies. 
Happy Stretching pennies!

No comments:

Post a Comment