Friday, August 19, 2011

Make your fresh produce last longer!

Have you ever seen a SMASHING deal on some produce and wished you could buy a TON of it without it going bad quickly?  And wished THAT price could last forever?  Well, there is a way to extend the life of your fresh produce.  (On a side note: you could obviously freeze good priced produce for later--such as berries...but...)

I debated for months about "green bags".
I had some friends talking about them, but the price seemed to be more than I wanted to spend.  A box of 20 bags was $9.99.  After months of deliberation, I finally decided to try them.  (Their being RE-USABLE is probably what helped sway me to try them.)  I have now been using these green bags for over a year...and their advertising has proved to be accurate.  I don't know how much I have saved over the past year, but I think it would be safe to say that they have paid for themselves....and little more.  PLUS, I have the convenience of having that fresh produce in my home just a little longer without having to run to the store!!

How do they work?  Quoting directly from the packaging: "They absorb and remove damaging gases: Most fruits, vegetables and flowers release ethylene gases during the natural ripening process after harvest.  Exposure of the produce to these gases accelerates aging and deterioration."
The green bags "are made with a natural mineral 'Oya' that extends the life of the produce by absorbing and removing the ethylene gases that cause normal deterioration."

I seem to use green bags for bananas, cilantro, broccoli, tomatoes and lettuce.  Below is a picture of what is on the back of the package comparing a certain fruit/veggie with different storing.  It isn't just a gimmick!!  And no...I am not in communication with this company.  This is just an independent assessment of these!

Happy Stretching Pennies!

FYI: I purchased these at my local grocery store (Smith's) in the produce section on one of their little displays!

No comments:

Post a Comment